California has recently become more lenient towards drug crimes – passing laws allowing diversion programs and legalizing medical marijuana. However, the Sacramento area courts remain overly strict when prosecuting drug crimes involving sales or cultivation. The attorneys at Spaulding Campi have a track record defending serious drug cultivation cases in both state and federal court.
CA Drug Crime Laws Prosecuted in Sacramento
- Possession of a Controlled Substance – CA H&S 11350
- Possession of Cocaine and Heroin – CA H&S 11351
- Transportation for Sale of a Controlled Substance – CA H&S 11352
- Possession of Drug Paraphernalia – CA H&S 11364
- Possession of Marijuana – CA H&S 11357
- Possession of Methamphetamine – HS 11377(a)
Defenses in Drug Cases
- Illegal Searches and Seizures – Often the police are overly aggressive and may commit a warrant-less search or violate the scope of the warrant.
- Lack of Intent to Sell – It can be argued that while you possessed the drugs, there was no intent to sell.
- Lack of Sufficient Possession of Narcotics – This defense comes into play with narcotics sting operations.
- Improper accusations of sales – We’ve encountered many cases where clients are improperly charged with sales, because for instance, the police found scales in the car. We will fight these charges.